Did you know that learning and speaking a second language is a very beneficial type of exercise for your brain and strengthens cognitive muscles? And that while learning a second language, you’ll actually learn more about your native language? You’ll also gain a broader perspective of the world God created! These are just a few of the many benefits our students are receiving in their Spanish classes at Hudsonville Christian School.
Students in Young 5’s – 5th grade will have Spanish class as part of their “specials” rotation, most meeting two days a week for twenty-five minutes. Spanish is also taught at our middle school for students in 6th – 8th grade. Our goal for students in this class is to learn Spanish, appreciate culture, have fun and most importantly gain a better understanding of the diverse world that God created!
What we will learn – Grades Young 5’s / K / 1
- Why should we learn Spanish?
- Bible verses and songs
- Calendar (months, day of the week, numbers, seasons)
- Basic classroom vocabulary and commands
- Manners (please, thank you, cheering on classmates, etc.)
- Spanish alphabet
- Holiday vocabulary (Christmas, Easter, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, etc.)
What we will learn – Grades 2-5
- Review calendar, colors, shapes and numbers
- Bible verses
- Praise and worship songs
- School commands and objects
- Places around the community
- Spanish speaking countries
- Christmas vocabulary and songs related to Jesus’ birth
- House (focusing on rooms around the house)
- Daily routine (me levanto, me pongo, me cepillo, me baño, me acuesto)
Helpful Spanish Links
- Kara Sall’s Spanish Website
- Kara Sall’s YouTube channel
- Free online radio with various Spanish music channels
- Looking up Spanish words 1
- Looking up Spanish words 2
- Salsa game
- Spanish for Kids
- Colors and Shapes
- Language FUN
- ABC Spanish Spelling
- Spanish Baby Flash Cards 2!