Girls on the Run is a fitness/learning program for girls in 4th and 5th grade that combines training for a 5k run with lessons on self-esteem. At Hudsonville Christian, we are committed to educating the whole child, and we think a program such as this can help to prepare girls for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living based on their awareness of being created in God’s image. Girls on the Run is not just an athletic program. It is an uplifting, esteem-building program that helps girls process, with the help of an instructor, how all these components come together for a life of healthy self-respect.
The girls participate in group activities, stretching and running to learn some important values, such as:
- The girl on the inside is more important than her looks on the outside.
- Girls learn how to stand up for themselves.
- Gossip is an unacceptable behavior and words can hurt.
- Adults are cool and their ideas are worthy of our respect.
- Eating nutritious food and being active are part of a healthy lifestyle.
More information: Girls on the Run Website