December 1 Home Communicator –This past week we were able to have some time off of school to celebrate Thanksgiving. It is very easy to focus on how Thanksgiving was different this year, and maybe for some it is hard to think about what they are thankful for in the past year. However, one of the things I am thankful for as the middle school principal is hearing and seeing our students cope. They don’t dwell on the difficulties and hardships, but instead continue to cultivate lives for Christ and focus on how He is at work.
One example of this has been provided by our student leaders group at the middle school. They created the concept of a bare trunk and branches for a tree that hangs in our hallway. The tree has since been slowly filling with leaves of the many different things our student body is thankful for. It is such a blessing to stand in front of that tree and take the time to read those leaves; it is a true testimony to Christ at work in our students’ lives at Hudsonville Christian. Here are a few examples from what you would see written on the tree:
- I am so thankful that we are in school! (this was said about 20 times)
- I am thankful that my mom has good care when fighting her cancer
- I am thankful for teachers who teach us about Christ every day
- I am thankful for a loving family
- I am thankful my parents have good jobs during this year
- I am thankful for hanging out with my friends
- I am thankful for God’s protection
- I am thankful for my health
I pray this list can be an encouragement to you during this season just as it is for me. God is good and continues to work in the lives of our students and families at Hudsonville Christian and for that we are thankful!
Justin Knot, Middle School Principal