Math Pentathlon is an after school program of interactive problem-solving games, supportive curricular and instructional activities, and assessment tools for students of all abilities in grades K – 7. At Hudsonville Christian, Math Pentathlon is offered to students in grades 1 – 7. This motivational program strengthens basic math concepts and skills, aligns with National and State Mathematics Standards, and stimulates creative thinking while developing problem-solving skills.
Math Pentathlon meets Tuesdays from 3:00pm to 4:00pm. After school, most students are given a recess until 3:00pm. At that time, they go to their designated practice room in the elementary building where they receive a snack. This program starts in mid-October and continues thru March.
- Differentiates Instruction: uses specially-designed board games to motivate ALL students of varying abilities and learning styles to enjoy and spend more time learning math
- Develops Active Problem Solving: the ability to resolve problems that are continually undergoing change
- Integrates 3 Types of Mathematical Reasoning: spatial, computational, and logical
- Stimulates “Right Brain” Thought: creative thinking, spatial visualization and reasoning
- Utilizes Mathematics Manipulative models: to develop conceptual understanding